Old unwanted furniture disposal is a dreaded household chore, but it doesn’t have to be a hassle to get rid of these undesirable items. Furniture is heavy and bulky, making disposal challenging, especially if there are several pieces that need you need to just throw away. Here are some simple tips & information to guide you through the process, and making sure old trash gets taken care of properly.

1. Donate Furniture to Charity

You can give away unwanted items to charity organizations like Goodwill, the Salvation Army, donation centers, Habitat for Humanity, and local homeless shelters accept donations of used furniture. They’ll pick it up and sell it at auction, so you won’t have to worry about packing it yourself. You could also look at a donation center, and even local churches. These groups are always looking for unwanted furniture items in their cities.

2. Sell Used Furniture Yourself

Selling used furniture on eBay or Craigslist is another popular method. You can also find local yard sales, or set up your own garage sale as ways to have someone take care of the junk. Social media platforms like Facebook are also helpful resources where you can tap into different communities where residents are always seeking everything from a cheap mattress, to a sofa/couch that they can use for furnishings in a spare bedroom. This way, you also have the chance of recouping some money, and who doesn’t like cash? As long as the price is right, there is a good chance there is a buyer out there waiting.

3. Recycling Furniture Materials

Furniture materials like wood, metal, glass, and plastic can all be recycled. Check with your local recycling center to learn more. Each location can have different regulations on what can, and can’t be brought in. It’s always best to give them a call, and ask any questions you might have.

4. Hire a Furniture Removal Company

7 Tried and True Old Furniture Disposal Tips

Imagine having a team in your area come to your house with a truck offering pickup services, handle all the heavy lifting, and deal with the disposal of your garbage at the city dump/landfill. While there is a cost associated with the removal of your unwanted item, the amount of time & physical strain it can save you can be well worth the fee these companies charge.

5. Reuse Furniture Parts

Some furniture parts can be reused for different purposes. For instance, wooden legs can be repurposed as garden stakes or fence posts. Some older pieces can have different varnish, paint, stains, or polish sealer added to it so it feels like something new and useful. This is also the best case if you’re thinking about the environment, and don’t want to add stuff to the local area dump.

6. Use Furniture as Storage Space

People can often times use unused space under beds, dressers, desks, and tables to store things like blankets, toys, books, and clothes. This is just another approach to help with the organization of your extra belongings.

7. Turn Old Furniture Into Art

Turning old furniture into art is a fun project for kids and adults alike. Paintings, sculptures, and drawings made out of old pieces of furniture can look beautiful hanging on walls.

FAQS for Furniture Disposal

How do you determine if furniture is too old to keep?

When determining if furniture is too old to keep, there are several factors to consider. The first factor is the condition of the furniture. If the furniture is in poor condition, with visible signs of wear and tear, it may be too old to keep. This includes signs of water damage, fading, peeling, cracking, or other signs of deterioration. If the furniture is structurally sound, but has some cosmetic damage, it may still be worth keeping.

How do you dispose of old furniture responsibly?

When it comes to disposing of old furniture responsibly, there are a few different options to consider.The first option is to donate your furniture to a charity or thrift store. Many charities and thrift stores accept furniture donations and will often pick up the furniture from your home. Donating your furniture to a charity or thrift store is a great way to give back to the community and help those in need. The second option is to sell your furniture. Lastly, if there is no salvaging the items due to the condition, its time to think about the next steps in proper waste disposal. Remember, a charity or even a potential buyer isn’t going to be interested in your old couch if the springs are busted, the stuffing is coming out of the cushions, or there are loose screws ready to jab someone.

What are some tips for selling unwanted furniture?

1. Clean and repair your furniture: Before you put your furniture up for sale, make sure to give it a thorough cleaning and repair any damage. This will help make it more attractive to potential buyers and increase its value. 2. Take good photos: Take high-quality photos of your furniture from different angles and in different lighting. This will help potential buyers get a better idea of what the piece looks like and will make it more appealing.

What are some tips for storing undesirable furniture?

1. Clean furniture thoroughly before storing: Before storing old furniture, it is important to clean it thoroughly to reduce the risk of mold and mildew growth. This can be done by wiping down the furniture with a damp cloth and then drying it off with a dry cloth. 2. Use furniture covers: If possible, use furniture covers to protect the furniture from dust and dirt.

What are some common examples of unwanted junk items?

This list is an example of the normal items typically picked up by Junk hauling companies:

Appliances, kitchen table, chairs, home decor, bed frames, drawers and hutches, couches, mattresses, sofas, concrete from construction sites & demolitions, gym equipment, old doors, bulk clothing, coffee tables, bedside tables, dining table, and other household items.

Statistics for Furniture Removal Tips

1. The average American household throws away approximately 9.3 million tons of furniture each year. (Source: EPA)

2. Approximately 15% of furniture is recycled or donated, while the remaining 85% is sent to landfills. (Source: EPA)

3. The average person in the United States throws away an estimated 82 pounds of furniture per year. (Source: EPA)

4. Approximately 63% of furniture is made from wood, while the remaining 37% is made from other materials such as metal, plastic, and fabric. (Source: EPA)

5. Approximately 80% of furniture can be recycled or reused. (Source: EPA)

6. Approximately 60% of furniture that is recycled is used to make new products. (Source: EPA)

7. Approximately 40% of furniture that is donated is used to make new products. (Source: EPA)

Hire a Junk Removal Service in Medina, Ohio

Removing old upholstery waste items can be a tough job. This is why hiring a junk removal company to help give you a hand, and some much needed peace of mind, makes so much sense! Junk removal services like that offered by AM Dumpster Rental & Junk Removal are here to offer you an unmatched experience and personal customer care.

Our team of experienced junk removal professionals is dedicated to providing you with the highest quality of service. We understand that each customer has unique needs, so we strive to provide personalized solutions to meet those needs. We offer a wide range of friendly furniture removal services, as well as dumpster rental. Renting dumpsters is a perfect solution for a homeowner that needs to dispose of bulk items.

Whether you’re a business working on a job site, or someone dealing with a hoarding situation on a property, a roll-off container bins are a great solution. We offer different sizes at more than reasonable rental prices. Book your free quote today!